Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Google Latitude Thinks I'm in Arkansas


I installed Google Maps 3.0.0, then 3.0.1 on my Blackberry. Both have Latitude (press has not been universally positive). Big brother worries aside for now, for some reason when ever I get to work, it thinks I'm in Arkansas. Never been, though I'm sure it's lovely.

So, if people are worried about the implications of Google tracking and storing where one is, what about where one isn't?

Update

I couldn't leave this alone.
One of the location based technologies Google uses to support Latitude is WiFi based. It turns out that by turning off WiFi on my Blackberry I am now back from my Arkansas vacation. So I guess my WiFi router is in Cozahome, not on my desk where I put it. Bad router! Time for a leash. I don't seem to have this problem with my router at home. I do have the same problem at home.

No comments: