Friday, April 6, 2007

LITE-ON IT EZ-Dub USB DVD-RW

I purchased a Lite-On IT EZ-Dub external USB DVD re-writer when I started working on the UX300CN because I needed a DVD burner that I could hook up to save bundled software on. I wasn't at all interested in the EZ-Dub features, and since Microsoft Vista recognized the burner right away I had not even opened the set of CD that came with the drive until today. I needed to copy some files off an XP-Pro system that was old enough that it didn't have a DVD burner installed. No problem, I've got this external unit hanging around. I hooked it up, installed the drivers, which was a very simple process, and completely out of character, read the quick start guide.

If you've looked at the EZ-Dub link above, you know that they claim it is as simple as pushing the File button on the drive dragging/dropping files to write data to either CD, DVD or dual layer DVD. So I tried it, and guess what, it really is that simple! So if you are a Luddite, or know one you can do worse than looking at this unit. It is fairly large. It would have been nice if they used a laptop form factor drive to make the package more compact. There is also a block power supply, but at least it isn't a wall wart so it isn't necessary to re-wire the whole desk to find an outlet.

I haven't tried the Dub button yet but I expect it works equally well.

No comments: